Licensure Requirements

Graduates of accredited U.S. Dental Schools are eligible to challenge certain licensure examinations and thereby obtain the right to practice dentistry ("licensure") in all 50 states of the United States, as well as many foreign countries. To obtain licensure, qualified candidates must meet the requirements established by individual states. Typically, states grant licensure in one of two ways:

  1. The state accepts a certificate issued by the National Board of Dental Examiners (NBDE) and a certificate issued by a regional board of dental examiners (e.g. CRDTS, CDCA, SRTA, WREB, ADEX).
  2. Certain states honor formal or informal reciprocity agreements with other state(s) and, in some cases, issue a license by credentialing the certificate from another state.

It is the ultimate responsibility of the individual dental graduate / candidate to become fully aware of the many rules, regulations and restrictions related to licensure across the United States. Midwestern University and the College of Dental Medicine-Arizona cannot and will not be responsible for the many regulations and frequent changes that occur in the licensure environment. 

For further information concerning licensure, please contact the American Dental Association or the specific state's licensing board.

Midwestern University’s College of Dental Medicine-Arizona is designed to meet the educational requirements to become licensed to practice medicine in the following states and US districts and territories: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, U.S. Virgin Islands, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

Each student should check the additional licensure requirements for the state, district, or territory in which they intend to pursue employment. Special note: licensure in New York and Delaware also requires completion of a PGY1 residency.